On 7 January 2021 the Housing Secretary, Robert Jenrick, announced revisions to leasehold enfranchisement laws, which come as part of the biggest proposed reforms to English Property Law in 40 years. Lease Extensions Under the Read more…
“I endeavour to treat each client as if they were my only client and each transaction as if it was my own.”
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Real Estate
- Complex Real Estate Acquisitions
- Landlord & Tenant
- Commercial Lettings
- High-Value Residential Transactions
As a founding partner of Lawrence Stephens, and with over 30 years’ experience, Stephen brings a wealth of knowledge to the firm in all aspects of Commercial and Residential Real Estate, as well as Landlord and Tenant transactions.
Stephen’s clients are a sophisticated mix of property companies, individual investors, property traders and trading businesses occupying properties for the purposes of their business as well as individuals. There’s no such thing as a typical deal. His transactions can range from the purchase or sale of a commercial investment, the refinancing of property portfolios, commercial lettings whether acting for Landlords or Tenants, complex acquisitions with lease re-gear and back to back sale, as well as residential transactions.
His clients are largely entrepreneurial, running their own businesses and seeking sound, speedy, creative advice and input from us as their solicitor.
Whether transactions are complex, urgent or routine, Stephen likes to work with clients in a commercial and pragmatic way to ensure a satisfactory and positive outcome. Many of his clients have been clients since day one, a testament to the quality of service and advice he strives to provide.
Testament to his exceptional work ethic and dedication to his clients, Stephen has been listed as a Recommended property lawyer in the prestigious Spear’s 500 list for 2021.
“Life is not all about work,” so Stephen says! He is a keen runner (half –marathons and marathons), having raised funds for various charities and is an active Freemason. He has been married to his wife Jane for almost 30 years and they have three wonderful children, of which “none are following in my footsteps by pursuing a career in law. Maybe they’ll be clients of mine one day.”
- Acting for the Epic Group of Companies as Landlord on lettings of commercial premises in various buildings to WeWork.
- Acting for a property trading company acquiring a parade of shops with residential upper parts, re-gearing occupational leases and sub-selling the individual buildings by way of auction and private treaty sales.
- Refinancing of an extensive portfolio of care homes and supported living properties owned by an offshore company.
- Purchase of a freehold investment property let to Argos and subsequent refinancing of the property.
- The purchase of various long leasehold and freehold light industrial sites for a self-storage operator with acquisitions being conditional on planning for change of use to storage and warehousing.
- The sale of a Country House with stud farm and private racecourse, including splitting the title into 2 parcels.
- The purchase of a country house and agricultural land as a mixed use purchase for stamp Duty Land Tax purposes dealing with the property, business and agricultural aspects.