Corporate, Commercial and Banking
- Senior Director
- “I consider my role a balancing act between knowing how to protect my client, whilst facilitating a timely transaction, achieving my client’s targets and ultimately getting a deal over the line.”
- Acted for an off-shore investor on the acquisition 8 Panamanian and 5 BVI property-owning companies for an aggregate consideration of £27M. Deal featured the negotiation of banking documents with Barclays Bank Plc to secure a loan facility of £21.5M.
- Acted for Metro Bank Plc on an £11M refinance of a large property portfolio using the LMA lender documentation.
- Acted for a client in raising £4.5m of debt-finance to be used to buy-out the minority shareholders in its business.
- Acted for Risk Capital Partners LLP in the acquisition of the All Star Leisure bowling business from administrators.
- Acted on behalf of Lendhub Limited on securing a £50M funding line from OakNorth Bank Plc.
Steven is a co-founder of Lawrence Stephens and brings with him over 30 years of legal experience. Steven has carved out his position by acting for large corporates and owner-managed businesses, as well as establishing a large client base in the regulated and non-regulated banking and secured lending market.
Steven’s main practice has evolved from corporate and commercial law to include banking and other forms of lending. His corporate advice covers business acquisitions and disposals, mergers,
management buy-out and buy-ins and private equity transactions. Whilst his commercial practice largely focuses on joint venture and shareholder agreements, loan notes, and franchise agreements.
In his banking and secured lending practice, he advises regulated and unregulated lenders and
borrowers who operate primarily in the real estate market in connection with loan facility
agreements (including Loan Market Association documents), security documents and intercreditor deeds. Here, he provides leveraged finance recommendations.
Steven regularly acts for overseas clients. A recent example includes acting for an offshore purchaser in connection to the acquisition of 12 offshore companies, each holding a UK based property, for a total consideration of £27m. £21.5m of finance was provided by Barclays Bank Plc.
Steven is a business owner himself and believes his greatest asset to be an ability to understand his client’s businesses and key objectives through both an entrepreneurial and commercial lens. His open-minded and approachable manner ensures objectives are met within the desired timeframe. This largely comes down to his commitment to working collaboratively with clients — a feature he has taken care to embed into Lawrence Stephens approach.
When he isn’t assisting clients and growing the business, Steven spends far too much time focusing on American politics and perusing the latest Donald Trump-related headlines. In his spare time, he enjoys attending Spurs matches, the theatre, and is a keen swimmer. He has a wife and three daughters and is based in London.